Fish Problems....

7:05 AM Posted by A Busy Mommy

On Ben's fourth birthday, I really wanted to get him a pet. Not something big or too much work so we went with fish. Now I know, fish are a lot of work, but it's work I don't mind doing. Weekly water changing (not really that hard).

So since we got his fishies we've had nothing but problems. We only have a 10 gallon tank, which means small fish, and only a few...fish need lots of room.

So, the first 7 fish we had didn't make it. Most died within the first few days, a few really tiny ones got sucked up the filter...oops!

So, we went last week and bought two new fish. I cleaned and cycled the tank, everything that went into it was cleaned...new filter, everything I could do. We had bought 2 Ryukin Calico Goldfish. Last night, DH and I were checking them out. Couldn't figure out why they were swimming on their heads and had red spots with worm like things sticking out of them. I found a neat forum online with a chat room and told them my problem. They were very helpful and helped me to figure out just what was wrong with my fish. The Forum is called Aquaria Central.
Definitely a great place to start researching BEFORE you buy your fish and equipment.

OK, so this is what we've figured is wrong with the fish...I'll let you know later what the pet store has to say.

First of all they seem to have a bladder disorder, caused from too much protein in their diet and over feeding. Treatment: Stop feeding them for a day or two, then put peeled thawed frozen peas into their tank to help them clean out their systems.

The Worm - Like things seem to be Anchor Worm and that requires medicine. I've called the pet store and they are willing to give me the meds for free. We're just not sure if we're going to keep these little guys. If my tank is too small, that would mean Daily water changing... and it is so NOT a possibility to go out and buy a 40 Gallon tank for two fish.


Ryukin Goldfish can grow up to 10 inches in their first year. Meaning this tank is way too small for them. I may hunt down freecycle and see if I can't find another. But a tank that size is doubtful.


4 comments:

  1. Unknown said...

    hmmm ... cleaning every day? Better you than me! lol

  2. Anonymous said...

    Aww poor fish....and poor Ben not a good first pet experience.

  3. Knit Purl Gurl said...

    Awwww... So sorry to hear that you are having fish-woes. :( I hope you can get some more fish suitable for a small tank. Maybe Tetras?

  4. Jennifer said...

    Everyone is saying awwww but I am thinking ewwwww. I like fish but worms coming out of their head...uhhhh yuck!

    Go with the hamster!!

Post a Comment